Friday, July 6, 2007

Laptop Hinge Repair

Laptop hinges on certain laptops are prone to cracking and/or breaking entirely. Some laptops are notorious for hinge failure, such as the Comapq Presario V5000.

Getting a laptop hinge repaired can be a long and hard process. Recently, I had the hinge break on my Gateway and had to send it in. It took 2 months for me to get my laptop back from Gateway, but I was offered a loaner to use while mine was repaired.

What I should have done is use a local computer repair company/person. If I had taken it to someone locally, they probably could have gotten the part within a week, and after getting the part in, they could have repaired it while i watched. On most laptops, it's easy to just remove the bottom cover and get to the hinge, on others the keyboard and many components must be removed.

You could also find out "How to repair a laptop hinge yourself", though I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you are experience with working on laptops. Laptops and desktop computers are two different worlds!

No comments: